Windows Live Local has a great Online Map that allows you to zoom in to both street level as well as look at the aerial views of the area.
- Tuesday Meet at Second Baptist Church at 1 p.m. Drive from Marion, Illinois, to Cartersville, Georgia, where we will stay at the Hampton Inn.
- Wednesday Drive from Cartersville, Georgia to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport at Atlanta. Meet the group from First Baptist Church of Andalusia, Alabama, early that afternnon. Board Lufthansa Airlines Flight LH445, departing at 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday Land at Frankfort, Germany, early Thursday at 7:15 a.m. The next flight, Lufthansa Flight LH3236, departs at 9:40 a.m. and is 2 hours 20 minutes long. We should land at Boryspil International Airport at 1 p.m. local time in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine. Go through customs and meet Brother Vasily (pastor of Church #4) and Brother Wally (Oleta Arnold's long-time interpreter) at the airport. We will then travel by charter bus to the Prolisok Tourist Complex on the western outskirts of Kiev where we will spend the night.
- Friday Ride by bus across western Ukraine to Chernivtsi in the region known as Bukovina. Arrive at what we would call the First Baptist Church of Chernivtsi, which they simply refer to as Church #1. Meet the pastors and interpreters, then go check into the Hotel Cheremosh.
- Saturday Don't know what we will do this day. In the past we have been taken on tours of their church camp as well as attended baptisms in the Prut River that runs through the north side of the city.
- Sunday Spread out and attend various churches. Some of the men may also preach at the local military base as they have done in the past.
- Monday - Thursday We will divide up in teams for various projects. We have training sessions at the camp for the youth in the mornings, and back in town at the church David Blue will be training pastors and other church leaders on organizing small group Bible studies. Ronda Woods will also be leading a Backyard Bible Club somewhere as well. The rest of the time, the rest of us will divide up into smaller groups of either one or two-person witnessing teams to go out into the community and the rural villages. These teams will go out with a driver and an interpreter, usually one or both will be members of one of the local churches. There are often church services in the various churches each evening somewhere during the week as well.
- Friday Return to Kiev by bus. In the past we've stopped to view the fortress at Kamyanets-Podilsky. We've made it a tradition to find the one of the McDonalds in the capital for a taste of American food. The chain opened their first restaurant in Ukraine in 1997. They now have 50 spread out over 16 cities. (There's a rumor that one exists in Chernivtsi, too, but not according to a map on McDonald's Ukrainian website). That night we stay again at the Prolisok Tourist Complex.
- Saturday Leave Ukraine at 3:35 p.m. local time on Lufthansa Flight LH3237 for a 2 hour 45-minute flight to Frankfurt/Main International Airport in Frankfurt, Germany. Stay at a hotel near the airport. In 2004 we went into Frankfort and found a restaurant where we at on the sidewalk our first solid piece of beef in more than a week.
- Sunday Fly to back to the United States on Lufthansa Flight LH444 departing at 10:45 a.m. Scheduled arrival is 2:40 p.m. It's almost a 10-hour flight, but we gain a bunch of hours. Drive from Atlanta to Marion.
Check out Wikipedia, the free online encyclopedia for three short interesting articles on where we are going. The articles include brief historical sketches and demographics.
- Tuesday, July 11 Hampton Inn in Cartersville, Georgia.
- Wednesday, July 12 NO HOTEL - OVERNIGHT FLIGHT
- Thursday, July 13 Prolisok Tourist Complex in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Friday, July 14 through Thursday, July 20 Hotel Cheremosh in Chernivtsi, Ukraine.
- Friday, July 21 Prolisok Tourist Complex in Kiev, Ukraine.
- Saturday, July 22 ? in Frankfort, Germany
Airports / Flight Status
These are the airports we will be using.
These are the Lufthansa flights we will be flying.
- LH 445 Atlanta to Frankfurt. Length: 8 hours and 45 minutes. Departs 4:30 p.m. Arrives 7:15 a.m. the next day.
- LH 3236 Frankfurt to Kiev. Length: 2 hours and 20 minutes. Departs 9:40 a.m. Arrives 1 p.m.
- LH 3237 Kiev to Frankfurt. Length: 2 hours and 45 minutes. Departs 1:50 p.m. Arrives 3:35 p.m.
- LH 444 Frankfurt to Atlanta. Length: 9 hours and 55 minutes. Departs 10:45 a.m. Arrives 2:40 p.m.
Here are a couple of language sites where you can actually hear the words used.
For weather conditions check out the Weather Underground. Currently they are experiencing very nice weather with highs in the upper 70s and lows in the 50s. However, as we get closer to going the temperatures are rising with highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.
Keep in mind that when we are in Atlanta it is 1 hour later. When we are in Frankfurt it is 7 hours later and when we are in Ukraine it is 8 hours later than everyone back in Illinois and Alabama.
We have a number of handouts and materials will be using on the trip. My goal is to place electronic versions online in case we need to access them over there.
We are also handing out a tri-fold legal-size brochure with our picture and testimony on the front cover and the plan of salvation inside. Members of our group have been using something along these lines since the first mission trip in 1993. These have been re-typed, and most are in Ukrainian. Each are printed doubled-sided on one legal sheet.
Testimony/Plan of Salvation Handouts